GREYSTANES


                  

Area Profile
The size of Greystanes is approximately 9kms in area. It has 37 parks covering nearly 19% of the total area. There are 8 schools and childcare centres located in Greystanes.
The population of Greystanes in 2001 was 19,206 people. By 2006 the population was 20,141 showing a population growth of 5% in the area during that period.
The predominant age group in Greystanes is 50-59 years.
Households in Greystanes are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between $1,200 & $1,400 per month on mortgage repayments.
In general, people in Greystanes work in a non-specific occupation.
In 2001, 82% of the homes in Greystanes were owner-occupied compared with 81% in 2006.

Primary schools
Greystanes Public School
Beresford Road Primary School
Ringrose Primary School
Widemere Public School

High schools
Greystanes High School
Holroyd High School

Private schools
St Pauls Catholic College, which was originally named St. Simon Stock High School and later Newman High School
Our Lady Queen of Peace Primary School

Parks and recreation
Greystanes contains a large number of parks, ovals, and sporting facilities, as well as a golf course. Through the lower portion of Greystanes runs what is known as the Canal, which was a water canal once used to transport water from the Prospect Reservoir, but has since been decommissioned and converted into a cycleway/walkway. Despite this, it is still referred to by its original function. The Canal features the regionally well-known Canal bridge - also known as the Boothtown Aqueduct (as its original function was).
The south-west of Greystanes contains the Gipps Road Sporting Complex and the Rosford Street Reserve, which consist of multiple ovals suitable for sports such as football and cricket. Around the ovals are large, open fields, suitable for other forms of recreation and a small BMX track in Rosford Street Reserve. A small-bore rifle club is located on Hyland Road, near these sporting complexes and the Hyland Road Youth Centre is also on this road. The Cumberland Country Gold Club is located to the geographic centre of the suburb.

History
In the early years of British settlement the area was known as Prospect Hill and was the site of the first land grants to emancipated convicts in 1791. At this period it was one of several areas of conflict between the Darug people and the settlers, the Darug people being led for many years of guerrilla warfare by Pemulwuy.
The area later became differentiated into Prospect, to the west of Greystanes Creek, and Greystanes to the east of the Creek, the latter taking its name from a historical home on Prospect Hill, built by Nelson Simmons Lawson, third child of Lieutenant William Lawson. The name 'Grey Stanes', given by Nelson Lawson, came from the outcrops of basalt on Prospect Hill, "Grey" being its colour and "Stanes" being the Scottish word for stones.
The land was originally granted to William Cummings in 1799, before being acquired by William Lawson in approximately 1810. It was from this land that William Lawson, Gregory Blaxland and William Charles Wentworth set out on their successful crossing of the Blue Mountains in 1813 and discovered the Bathurst Plains. The Lawson family crypt still exists today at St Bartholomew's Church, Prospect.[1]
The area was used for poultry farming in the early twentieth century until Greystanes developed in the 1950s and 1960s as a residential suburb. Frank Cefai, a Maltese migrant, is a well known developer who built thousands of residential homes throughout Greystanes and its surrounding suburbs. Frank built and helped fund the Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church in 1975 and the surrounding primary and secondary schools.